Wednesday 8 January 2014

Breaking Down

Yesterday was the first day Back after the Christmas holidays. I have to say it was the worst day I've had in years. I can't quite say why. Nothing in particular happened but then those do tend to be the days I hate most.

I seem to be coming to terms with my inner Slytherin. Pottermore may have sorted me into Gryffindor two years ago but I cant say I feel any connection to that house anymore. Maybe I've changed, maybe I used to be brave at heart or maybe I unconsciously cheated on the quiz. Whatever it was I don't feel Gryffindor. I struggled to accept my place in the house when I was first placed there. I'm not really sure if I did finally fit into that persona or I just convinced myself to Gryffindor the fuck up and embrace the house chosen for me. I don't know why I place so much importance on my Hogwarts house. Harry Potter had such a massive impact on my childhood. I can't imagine who I'd be today if I had never read them.

I don't know reader, I don't know. There is so much I don't know. I feel like I've broken a wall inside my head and let out some terrible monster. I'm worried what it's going to do to me.


3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry it was such a bad day. But in regards to the Hogwarts house stuff, I think it's wonderful that it's so important to you. You love the books, so the houses are very much real. They classify us as humans. And right now I think you view Slytherin as the "bad" house, because that's how it's portrayed in the books. But we have to remember that the books are from Harry's perspective, and he just does not get along with them, so it makes sense that he would view them in a negative light. However, there is nothing inherently bad about being cunning, witty, and a bit devilish. Slytherins actually tend to be just as loyal as Hufflepuffs, but instead of hugging you when you've had a bad day, a Slytherin would be more likely to go beat the crap out of whatever hurt you. Slytherins are every bit as valuable as Gryffindors.
    But besides that, you choose what house you're in. Harry struggled with what house he was in as well. He knew that some, if not most, of his inner traits made him a Slytherin, but he didn't want to be. He chose Gryffindor, and in the second book, Dumbledore and the Sorting Hat explain that that's how life works. We choose who we are, regardless of our natural traits, we can be whoever we want to be. If you want to be a Gryffindor, you are. Good for you. If you are a Slytherin, that's totally cool too. I'm a Hufflepuff, the seemingly useless house, but I've come to see it more as being kind and humble and trying not to make a big fuss about myself, which is just as good as Slytherin or any other house, just in a different way. None of the houses are any worse that the others. They're just different. Embrace who you are <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you misunderstood me, I don't think that Slytherin is a 'bad' house. I know that all houses have both good and bad aspects and I accept that. It's just I have identified with Gryffindor for years now and it's difficult to complete reassess what I thought I knew about myself. Not just based on what house I identify with but every part of me. Thank you for your comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm, I hadn't thought of it that way. Yeah, that would be really distressing, I'm sorry you feel that way :/ Hopefully seeing yourself in this new light will show you even more great things about yourself, even if it is hard to think of yourself in this new way.

    ReplyDelete