Sunday 25 August 2013

Blue Eyes and Blond Hair - Truly Hitler's Child

Sometimes you watch a show or a film and the events that occur are so clichéd, unrealistic and over-used that one has to think how the writers still continue to think it adds anything desirable to their work. Then sometimes that very thing happens to you in real life and you are forced to eat your words and admit that perhaps the writers are not as ridiculous as previously perceived.

I went to watch a series of monologues by a theatre group yesterday night in a quaint, tavern like pub called The Hole in the Wall. After the show we realised that my former piano teacher's son was also there and we started talking. I won't hold anything back here - mainly because it would take from the comedic reality of the situation.
He was about twenty five and he was very attractive with curly blond hair, bright blue eyes the shade of sapphires and the most infectious smile I've ever seen on a person. He was tall and handsome, basically but not in the in-your-face kind of way. More in a reserved, modest fashion and he was just a super charming, sweet kind of guy.

Anyway we were all talking sort of generally and then he asked me what age I was and I completely blanked. I can't describe what happened in my head at that moment. He just turned to me suddenly and I was so taken off my guard by his piercing stare and stunning smile. My gaze was caught up in his and I hadn't the slightest clue what age I was. So I said the first thing that came to my head.

"Um, I don't know..."

Come on, Kate, your age. You know this one, you know it. I can't imagine how I must have looked, simply standing there unable to recall a simple number that is ingrained into every human being. He looked at me with a sort of confused expression on his face and with a slightly incredulous tone repeated, "You don't know?"

I didn't notice what happened after that. I think everyone was laughing and I suppose I laughed along with them too. It was a mortifying experience. Sometimes I wonder how I haven't been torn to shreds by the world already.

2 comments: