Thursday 22 August 2013

Riverrun - Olwen Fouéré

A week ago I went to see Riverrun with Olwen Fouéré, in the Watergate theatre. I don't know how to describe the experience without making it seem less than it was. It was an incredible performance. For those of you who aren't familiar with Olwen Fouéré she is a free-lance actor, writer and theatre artist born on the west coast of Ireland to French parents.

Riverrun is such a beautiful, theatrical composition combining music, poetry, lighting and certain amount of dance. Fouéré energises the entire stage so that even though she is alone reciting a monologue that no one in the audience understands it never feels that way. She brings a sort of confidence that contagiously carries you along with the flow of the river.

Her speech is based on the work of James Joyce, Finneagan's Wake. Listening to Fuoéré ramble off half gibberish testimonies of impeccable word play and verses of pure emotion made me desperately want to read this novel. I think that is the most impressive part of this performance, how much feeling she manages to compress into a single dialogue. Along with the incredible lighting it created a mesmerizing, intense hour. The tone set by the darkened stage and expression in her voice is beautiful.

This post has not done her justice I realise because I'm not feeling very well tonight. But also nothing I could ever say could recommend her enough to you. I'd definitely go to see Olwen Fouéré again if I ever get the chance. And so should you.

No comments:

Post a Comment