Sunday 4 August 2013

You know what? Fuck the themes

I'm in a bad mood and I don't want to talk about beautiful summer ideals (today's theme: perfect summer) so instead I'll let my incoherent thoughts roll out.

I've been thinking a lot about morality recently and what good and bad really means. Because what one person believes is right another person believes the opposite. But that doesn't mean one of them is wrong. Good and bad are subjective terms. A woman believes that it's okay to steal what she needs because she doesn't want to get a job. A wealthy man looks down his nose at the woman because he believes it wrong that she doesn't live an honest life. But who decides what is right? Is one of these people wrong? I feel like it's situations like this where it's simply easier to imagine that there is a God out there who has decided which is right.

I've come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as a right and a wrong, a good and a bad. I realise I've taken it a step further than simply saying 'nothing is black and white' and maybe I've taken it too far, I'm still composing my opinions.
But is it unreasonable to conclude that if morality is subjective and depends only on a specific person's beliefs, it is therefore an irrelevant point. It's simply your word against mine. I say it's right, you say it's wrong. God stays silent.

Since producing these thoughts I was reading A Casual Vacancy in which there is a character who thinks and acts rather in this manner, which only helped to reinforce those thoughts. People follow the rules of society, they repeat the morals fed into them and appear to act according to them. Killing, stealing, lying etc. - wrong. Similar to the ten commandments. But inside there are so many people who don't believe any of it.

To succeed in this spite-filled, joy-sucking black hole of a world one needs to be completely focused on their goal. Which means being focused on ones-self. In my experience as one increases their self focus they slowly become obsessed and obsession then leads to a lack of conscience. But my point, that I'm taking forever to get to, is that maybe that's not a bad thing. Maybe we don't need a conscience. Maybe it's better to be focused on self success. but of course I can see how corrupt the world would quickly become if everyone acted in this way. I don't know I just kind of wanted to let out my thoughts. And I'm in a better mood now.

I just hope I'm not starting to sound like a serial killer.

No comments:

Post a Comment