Wednesday 7 August 2013

I've got news!

Let's talk weird news.

Right so you know the babel fish in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? Sorry did I miss hear you? No?
Well if you expect me to fill you in you've got another thing coming. Either read a book or do your own research. Ever heard of Wikipedia?

Fine so I did the research for you. I can't help it, I'm a nice person! Anyway apparently Google are um...making that?
So basically spoken word would be converted into another language through a receiver device. So you're sitting there in Sweden trying to order a meal without of word of Swedish and you speak into this...fish?...and it will say your words in Swedish for your waiter. Pretty cool, right?

Or you are on the phone trying to book a hotel in Peru and your words in English go through the receiver and are heard in Spanish. Android vice president Hugo Barra has said that the device still needs several years of work but it is a real option with recent developments in translator software.

Of course if Google Translate is anything to go on we don't have much hope but Barra has said that some translations are near perfect. However others? Not so much. But I have faith that in 20 - 50 years we'll all have fully functioning mobile interpreters in our pockets.

That's my crazy news for today see you again tomorrow.
-Kate

1 comment: